Wednesday 22 April 2009

What the stamp dealer said...

Today I took a break from work to see our local stamp dealer in his shop at Apsley, hoping he'd see something in my collection to make him sit up - and pay me something! I was even prepared for a bit of bargaining.

His dubious eyes - and keen nose - perused my collection so lovingly nurtured in my formative years.

"Bit musty," he ventured politely. "People don't use mothballs anymore, do they? Best to put it on the window sill in the sun to get rid of the smell. You might want to pass it on to someone in the family..."

"Isn't there anything of some value amongst all this?" I enquired longingly,

"I'm very sorry," he said. "Look," he added informatively, "This is what I am doing now, sorting out this collection of old stamps from Malta - all pre 1918..."

Anyway, at least I tried... maybe my grandchildren will be pleased one day that I didn't have to part with the collection - number one grandchild is due in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment